Monday, August 22, 2022

End of a Productive Summer and Excited for School

     I had a very busy summer. My first job was the greatest job ever being a day camp counselor/instructor at the local park district. I reaffirmed my dream of working with kids for the rest of my life! Kids are so fun to be around. They make me feel like a kid again, and this is very rewarding! I am definitely going to try do this job again next summer! It was such an exceptional and valuable experience for me. Even though I did work for just a few weeks, I learned a lot about myself and working with kids. This summer, I also wrote my senior thesis research paper for my psychology undergraduate degree. It was really complicated and stressful, but I managed to get it completed on time. I would say this has been my most productive summer of my life. I actually am the type of person who loves being very busy. If I am not busy, I get bored and forget I have a purpose in this life. Getting my first job helped me realize my individual worth to society. This is not to say you need a job to be a worthwhile person. When I did not have a job, I was unhealthily  obsessed with getting a job. How does this tie into the disability population? It is the case that me and other people with disabilities see ourselves as being able to work like abled-bodied individuals. We desperately desire to prove to the world we can support ourselves just like most everyone else. However, we must strive to not compare ourselves to other people. I fell into this trap countless times! 

    Next Monday, I start another fall semester at Benedictine University! I am very excited to make friends and serve on Student Senate again! It has been challenging to make friends ever since COVID-19 started, so I am hoping this will be easier this year! Have a great week! Remember you are beloved by God! 




No comments:

Post a Comment